processing systems. They clean, prepare, and optimize data for consumption through the design and construction of massive reservoirs for big data. They solve problems associated with database access and integration and unstructured data sets to provide clean, usable data for customers and IT counterparts. These engineers serve as integrators between data architects, data scientists, and other data consumers. They apply knowledge of scripting tools, programming languages, standards, and software packages to build the data pipelines that enable faster, better, data-informed decision-making within the Agency.
Additional Job Information
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) serves as the world leader in providing timely, relevant, accurate and actionable geospatial intelligence (GEOINT). NGA's civilian, military and contract personnel evaluate imagery, maps, charts, multiple layers of foundation data - such as terrain, elevation and gravity - and the full spectrum of visible and invisible light in order to help users visualize what is happening at a particular place and time.
NGA is in search of Data Engineers who understand data, data architectures, data pipeline infrastructure, cloud solutions, and security best practices. Data Engineers create data infrastructure and integrated data pipelines; transforming, enriching, and delivering data for consumers. They may work independently and/or as part of a team of data and non-data professionals on projects of varying complexities. They will design logical and physical data models for data warehousing; develop robust data models, data dictionaries, and data flow diagrams.
Data Engineers must be able to operate at the tactical and strategic level while working in a dynamic and sometimes ambiguous environment to deliver impactful results. They will leverage their strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with mission owners at varying levels inside and outside the Agency. As a Data Engineer, you will be tasked against the Agency's biggest data challenges in support of missions such as National Intelligence, National Security, Military Operations, and Disaster Relief and Preparedness, for a diverse audience including the Department of Defense, the Intelligence Community, and senior government officials up to and including the United States Congress and the President of the United States.
Other duties may include:
* Utilize a variety of languages and tools (e.g., scripting languages) to build data pipelines to pull together information from different source systems.
* Design, construct, install, test, and maintain highly scalable data management systems;
* Develop data set processes for data discovery, modeling, mining, and production.
* Integrate and prepare large, complex data sets that meet functional /non-functional business requirements.
* Design and implement high performance data pipelines for distributed systems and data analytics for customers.
* Build, deploy, operate, and maintain big data analytics infrastructure.
* Orchestrate large PB sized data storage and compute clusters across bare-metal and cloud.
* Deploy and manage infrastructures based on Docker, Kubernetes, or OpenStack, and public Clouds such as Azure, AWS or Google Cloud Platform.
* Create tool-chains for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing AI workflows.
* Experience with engineering data pipeline from collection and processing to visualization of SQL and NOSQL cyber security data sources for threat analysis and modelling.
* Work with Agency data and machine learning experts to improve functionality in our data and model life cycle management capabilities.
* Develop enterprise interoperable coding and data standards and create processes to ensure use of enterprise-wide data architecture capabilities.
* Solve problems and deliver solutions with database access and data integration, define data conflation, fusion, and de-confliction rules.
* Collaborate with data architects, data scientists, data stewards, and customers to enable more efficient and effective data-informed decision-making.
* Apply expert knowledge of scripting, tools, programming languages, standards, and software packages to build databases and data pipelines.
* Accomplish data cleansing, preparation, storage, and security.
* Web-based data creation and editing through iD editor or JDSM.
* Data conflation activities through Hootenanny.
* Upgrades to the UI and system capabilities to enhance user experience.
* Use business analytics and data validation to improve campaign focus and output.
* Establish and sustain a NOME User Forum.
* Create and brief presentations around the community and conferences.
Additional Application Requirement: You may be asked to complete one or more assessments in addition to the application you submit on this website as part of your application to NGA. These assessments may include but are not limited to:
* Online questionnaires or assessments that require you to describe your job-related knowledge, skills, abilities, or other characteristics that are aligned with the mandatory and desirable qualifications of this job posting. The information you provide in the application you submit must support the response you provide to this questionnaire.
You will receive an email to describe any additional assessments required. Please monitor your emails and complete any required assessments as soon as possible.
MANDATORY QUALIFICATION CRITERIA: For this particular job, applicants must meet all competencies reflected under the Mandatory Qualification Criteria to include education (if required). Online applications must demonstrate qualification by providing specific examples and associated results, in response to the announcement's mandatory criteria specified in this vacancy announcement:
* Demonstrated proficiency in applied programming and/or manipulation of data with a programing language such as Python, R or Java.
* Demonstrated experience working with one or more database management systems, e.g. relational (Oracle, MySQL, Postgresql, etc.), noSQL (MongoDB, Accumulo, etc.), graph (Allegrograph, JanusGraphy, Neo4J, etc) to include experience with database retrieval methods and optimizations.
* Demonstrated experience working with a range of data storage/access options, e.g. File(S3, FTP,etc.) and/or API(WFS, FeatureServer, Elasticsearch, SDK, etc.).
* Demonstrated experience enabling access to data by way of databases or dashboards.
* Demonstrated experience cleaning, filtering, transforming data, and/or enriching data.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: A. Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Science, Information Systems Management, Mathematics, Operations Research, Physical Sciences, Statistics, Technology Management, or a degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems, or networks. -OR- B. Combination of Education and Experience: A minimum of 24 semester (36 quarter) hours of coursework in any area listed in option A, plus experience in developing, constructing, testing and maintaining architectures and/or related technologies, or in a related field that demonstrates the ability to successfully perform the duties associated with this work. As a rule, every 30 semester (45 quarter) hours of coursework is equivalent to one year of experience. Candidates should show that their combination of education and experience totals 4 years. -OR- C. Experience: A minimum of 4 years of experience in developing, constructing, testing and maintaining architectures and/or related technologies, or in a related field that demonstrates the ability to successfully perform the duties associated with this work. -AND- IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies: Attention to Detail, Customer Service, Oral Communication, and Problem Solving.
Highly Desired Qualifications
QUALIFICATION CRITERIA: In addition to the mandatory qualifications, experience in the following is desired:
* Experience as a proven innovator and strategic problem solver.
* Familiarity with Department of Defense (DoD) and Intelligence Community (IC) activities, functions, and organizational structures
* Knowledge and understanding of NGA operations, data infrastructure and architecture
* Familiarity with cloud services as applied in the DoD and IC.
* Knowledge of simplification and optimization of data automation workflows; streamlining of extract-transform-load (ETL) operations. 6. Knowledge of emerging technical skills, tools, and best practices.
Additional Job Requirements
You must be able to obtain and retain a Top Secret security clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information. In addition, you are subject to a Counterintelligence Polygraph examination in order to maintain access to Top Secret information. All employees are subject to a periodic examination on a random basis in order to determine continued eligibility. Refusal to take the examination may result in denial of access to Top Secret information, SAP, and/or unescorted access to SCIFs.
Employees with SCI access and who are under NGA cognizance are required to submit a Security Financial Disclosure Report, SF-714, on an annual basis in order to determine continued eligibility. Failure to comply may negatively impact continued access to Top Secret information, Information Systems, SAP, and/or unescorted access to SCIFs.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
PROMOTION OPPORTUNITY: Promotion opportunities allow applicants at all band levels to be considered. Qualifications for NGA positions do not include specific time-in-band requirements. NGA will emphasize quality of experience, rather than duration, and assess how the quality of the experience demonstrates possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies necessary for successful job performance in the NGA occupational structure.
Band 03 $64,948 - $133,465
PERMANENT CHANGE IN STATION: PCS expenses are not authorized.
Pay is only part of the compensation you will earn working for the Federal Government. We offer a broad array of benefits programs and family friendly flexibilities to meet the needs of you and your family.
For more information on the array of benefits programs, please visit
Applicants are not required to submit a cover letter. The entire cover letter cannot exceed the specified limits provided in the Cover Letter field (3,000 characters). Pages exceeding this limit will not be considered. The cover letter is recommended but is not required for employment consideration with the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. Applicants should place their narrative information in the Cover Letter / Other Professional Details field.
Who may apply
External Applicants Only
How to apply
Application submission involves applying using the Intelligence Community's Applicant Gateway on-line application process. ONLY ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
How will I be evaluated?
APPLICANT EVALUATION PROCESS: Applicants will be evaluated for this job opportunity in three stages:
* All applicants will be evaluated using the Mandatory Qualification Criteria,
* Qualified applicants will then be evaluated by an expert or panel of experts using a combination of qualification criteria to determine the best-qualified candidates,
* Best-qualified applicants may then be further evaluated through an interview process.
Military retiree applicants, if selected, may be impacted by the 180-day appointment restrictions of DODI 1402.01. HD personnel will provide additional information if applicable.
Applicants are encouraged to carefully review the Assignment Description, Additional Information Provided By the Selecting Official, and the Qualification Requirements; and then construct their resumes to highlight their most relevant and significant experience and education for this job opportunity. This description should include examples that detail the level and complexity of the performed work. Applicants are encouraged to provide any education information referenced in the announcement. If education is listed as a mandatory requirement, only degrees obtained from an institution accredited by an accrediting organization recognized by the Secretary, US Department of Education will be accepted.
In accordance with section 9902(h) of title 5, United States Code, annuitants reemployed in the Department of Defense shall receive full annuity and salary upon appointment. They shall not be eligible for retirement contributions, participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, or a supplemental or redetermined annuity for the reemployment period. Discontinued service retirement annuitants (i.e., retired under section 8336(d)(1) or 8414(b)(1)(A) of title 5, United States Code) appointed to the Department of Defense may elect to be subject to retirement provisions of the new appointment as appropriate. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at
All candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation.
NGA provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applications will only be accepted online. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us at ...@nga.mil. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Conditions of Employment
As a condition of employment at NGA, persons being considered for employment must meet NGA fitness for employment standards.
* U.S. Citizenship Required
* Security Clearance (Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information)
* Polygraph Test Required
* Position Subject to Drug Testing
* Two Year Probationary Period
* Direct Deposit Required
NGA utilizes all processes and procedures of the Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). Non-executive NGA employees are assigned to five distinct pay bands based on the type and scope of work performed. The employee's base salary is established within their assigned pay band based on their unique qualifications. A performance pay process is conducted each year to determine a potential base pay salary increase and/or bonus. An employee's annual performance evaluation is a key factor in the performance pay process. Employees on term or temporary appointments are not eligible to apply for internal assignment opportunity notices.
This position is a DCIPS position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to preference eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are an external applicant claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you must self-identify your eligibility in your application.
Associated topics: data analyst, data architect, data integration, data manager, data management, data warehouse, etl, erp, sybase, teradata