Comcast's Technology & Product organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards.
The Data Experience Team (dx) has the responsibility of data engineering and data governance for Comcast data platforms, focused on gathering, organizing and making sense of Comcast data. Within the Big Data domain, this role is responsible for leading a team of software development engineers in the planning, designing, testing, implementation and management of big data applications focused on Comcast data governance, privacy and security. Manage projects from design to implementation, including new programs, enhancements, and modifications. Develop financial and operational objectives. Ensure operational plans are aligned with business objectives. Contribute to functional strategy development. This role has a greater degree of impact on business results, and typically manages one or more groups of professional employees. Looking for a manager to assist with the transition to a more flexible organization where project specific teams may be formed on an ad-hoc basis. The position includes direct responsibility for employees and projects; however, any project team may span teams/organizations. The candidate should have strong experience running a DevSecOps team and will be expected to help grow and sustain an internal DevSecOps culture encompassing end-to-end responsibility for development, deployment, production support, monitoring, data quality and automation of their applications.
Employees at all levels are expect to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities
- Oversees the planning and designing of big data applications, including new programs, enhancements, and modifications.
- Provides guidance to the dx Software Engineering team and other departments in identifying product and technical requirements.
- Serves as primary point of contact and liaison between data engineering and other teams.
- Manages all deliverables to ensure adherence to deadlines, specifications, and budgets. Implements performance metrics and prepares period reports and/or proposals. Monitors and tracks project progress and reports findings to leadership team.
- Ensures all engineers keep current with technological developments within the industry. Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products.
- Provides leadership and direction to department personnel from lower-level managers to non-exempt employees.
- Manages cross-project communications.
- Provide hands-on architecture, design, coding, debugging, and implementation technical support as required.
- Directs implementation initiatives for new software products and applications.
- Organizes software update process for existing applications and coordinates the roll-out of software releases.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of, and ability to apply, process design and redesign skills.
- Presents and defends architectural, design, and technical choices to internal audiences.
- Develop proofs of concept for new technologies as needed.
- Responsible for hiring and developing strong engineering talent.
- Responsible for employee performance management and annual reviews.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to work effectively across a matrixed environment and influence without formal authority
- Convey complex technical issues/problems to programmers in a clear/concise manner
- Ability to convey complex concepts to business stakeholders in terms relevant to the business
- Hands-on experience in Apache Spark (Scala or Java or Python), Databricks, RDBS and Linux/UNIX ecosystems
- Extensive knowledge of data warehouse and data mart concepts
- Experience with information security and access control protocols
- Experience with managed service and onshore/offshore team collaboration
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Servant leadership
- Organized, structured, methodical
- Analytical with strong problem-solving ability
- Strong prioritization and time management skills
- Generally requires 8-11 years related experience
- 5+ years of experience as software developer
- Technical background and hands-on experience in implementing applications in Databricks, Spark, Scala, Java, AWS Ecosystem i.e. S3, EC2, EMR, Kinesis, Lambda, Glue, Athena, Redshift, DynamoDB, CloudWatch, etc
- Hand-on experience in Agile/Scrum methodology and JIRA
- Experience in data warehouse concepts/architecture with high volume, real-time streaming transactions and batch ETL jobs
- Experience in Containerizing applications using Kubernetes and Docker, etc
- Experience with CI/CD tools like Concourse, GoCD etc. is preferred
- Experience managing and cultivating a DevSecOps culture
- Demonstrated experience on data security and built-in privacy
- Nice to have experience: Privacera, Apache Ranger, Apache Atlas, BigID, Collibra
Comcast is an EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task