Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Data Scientist II for San Antonio Home Office II/III or Remote Work Location Available.
This role is designated for a Data Scientist who has proficient knowledge with applying modern advanced analytics methods (predictive modeling, Machine Learning, and optimization), as well as a solid grasp of the mathematics used for each method and strong Python coding skills to develop numerical models. The Data Scientist is expected to demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate (written and oral) complex analytical and technical concepts to both technical and non-technical employees. The Data Scientist for this role is expected to have experience working with time series/forecasting models.
Within defined guidelines and framework, uses techniques that integrate traditional and non-traditional datasets and method to enable analytical solutions. Applies predictive analytics, machine learning, simulation, and optimization techniques to generate management insights and enable customer-facing applications; participates in building analytical solutions leveraging internal and external applications to deliver value and create competitive advantage. Translates complex analytical and technical concepts to non-technical employees.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- In partnership with SMEs, learns to define the business problem and works with experienced data scientists to select the appropriate model.
- Extracts features from structured and unstructured data (internal and external).
- With guidance, conducts advanced analytics: predictive modeling, Machine Learning, and optimization.
- Works with Data Engineering/IT partners to develop architectures for new products, services and features.
- Explains complex models and outcomes to colleagues who are not data scientists.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Quantitative Economics, Statistics, or related field or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 2 years of related experience and accountability for complex tasks and/or projects.
- Proficient knowledge of the function/discipline and demonstrated application of knowledge, skills and abilities towards work products.
- Proficient level of business acumen in the areas of the business operations, industry practices and emerging trends.
- Strong coding skills in the dominant scripting language (such as Python).
- Deep academic understanding of model assumptions. Solid grasp of statistics and mathematics.
- Proficient knowledge of Data Science principals and experience with data science methodologies.
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not able to change your responses.
- Proficient knowledge with applying modern advanced analytics methods (predictive modeling, Machine Learning, and optimization).
- Experience with Time Series/Forecasting Modeling.
- Solid grasp of mathematics, with a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, probability, and statistics.
- Strong Python coding skills to develop numerical models.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (written and oral) complex analytical and technical concepts to both technical and non-technical employees.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits package in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have managers approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 11/03/20 by 11:59 pm CST time.