Tesla is seeking a highly motivated Controls Engineer for our Automotive Factory in Fremont, California. Our Controls team drives to create the factory of the future by overseeing the design of cutting-edge large scale equipment and utility systems in support of highly innovating manufacturing processes. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills and attention to detail. They appreciates an environment where innovative and high quality work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. They looks forward to learning an incredible amount on the job. They is an excellent cross-team communicator, with a knack for understanding, process, mechanical, and electrical systems as well as complex controls.
- Develop PLC code and perform PLC configuration and validation
- Architect tools for automation of development and deployment of PLC based systems
- Work closely with HMI development and Design to optimize data exchange and general system usability.
- Support a team to develop high efficiency alarm rationalization techniques
- Manage contractors to optimally execute scopes of work
- Provide on expert on call support for system outages and failover incidents
- Participate in development of scalable network architectures for plant wide high reliability control systems
- PLC Architecture
- Server Architecture
- User interface / user experience (UI/UX)
- Participate in continuous improvement activities with key stakeholders and engineering groups
- Participate in the execution of start-up and commissioning activities
- Participate in Tesla specification and standard creation
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution at Vendor and at Tesla facility during installation and buy-off
- BS/MS in an Engineering field (Majors in: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Control Systems, Computer Science and Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.)
- 3-5 years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Applications Engineer working on automation and/or electromechanical systems.
- Advanced proficiency in programming industrial process and manufacturing equipment:
- PLCs (Siemens, Allen Bradley, GE, Koyo)
- Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI - Ignition, Siemens Comfort Panel, AB Panelview, FactoryTalk, LabView)
- Ability to program state machines, data acquisition, and PID control. Proven ability to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and recovery.
- Proficiency programming and tuning variable frequency drives
- Configuration of controls networks including:
- Field bus Networks (ProfiNet, , DeviceNet, Ethernet/IP, Safety rated field bus networks)
- Serial communication (RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, ProfiBus, BacNet) between PLCs and instruments and microcontrollers
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and instrumentation.
- Experience transitioning products and processes from concept to production desired
- Advanced proficiency in modern text based programming languages (Python, Java, C, VB) is a plus
- Advanced proficiency in database systems (MSSQL, MySQL, Access) is a plus
- Proficiency creating detailed process, electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics in CAD (AutoCAD). Ability to use 3D CAD packages such as with Revit is a plus.
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (Level, temperature and pressure transducers, current and power meters, etc) is a plus
- Experience programming Cartesian, SCARA and Articulated robots is a plus (Fanuc, Kuka, Motoman, Epson) is a plus
- Experience with Vision systems is a plus (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc) is a plus
- Experience creating technical specifications for process or manufacturing equipment is a plus
Associated topics: architecture, catia, hardware designer, hardware engineer, layout, pc, pcb, plc, rf, vlsi