SAIC's Identity and Data Sciences Laboratory (IDSL) is seeking a rock-star data scientist with a strong background in rigorous data analysis using modern tools in a research setting. The IDSL works with state of the art technologies including facial recognition and AI and measures their performance and applicability to new customer use cases. The IDSL has a cutting-edge infrastructure for gathering and processing multi-modal data in real-time from large-scale experiments from our test facility (Maryland Test Facility; ) as well as from external data sources using both on-premises and cloud hosted systems. Our scientists regularly publish technical papers, enjoy great work-life balance, and an environment that promotes learning and exploration.
The data scientist will:
- Develop analytic pipelines and algorithms using on-premises and cloud-hosted computing resources.
- Contribute to design of experiments, hypothesis testing, and building models.
- Exercise strong analytical judgement in framing the problem and selecting the right tools, while avoiding unnecessary complexity.
- Identify and implement the best data analysis methods and tools for each analytic task.
- Develop publication quality data visualizations and data dashboards.
- Work on multiple projects simultaneously, balancing short and long-term tasks.
- Collaborate with other scientists and domain experts on the team.
- Contribute to writing customer reports and technical whitepapers.
- BS degree and 9 years of experience (4 years experience in lieu of degree)
- Strong experience in SQL, R, Python, and using statistical methods to analyze experimental data.
- Strong experience in data visualization.
- Excellent presentation and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated self-direction, with desire both to learn new techniques and teach others.
- Familiarity with machine learning and biometric systems like face, fingerprint, or iris recognition.
- Experience with efficient analysis of large datasets in a cloud environment using tools like RedShift or BigQuery.
- Experience working collaboratively with software and data engineers.
- Experience with visualization tools such as ggplot2, R Shiny, or Tableau.
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git/GitHub.
- Familiarity with LaTeX and publishing analytical reports to academic journals.
- Experience working in a research environment.
This position is based in Upper Marlboro, MD. Up to 10% travel is expected within the continental US.
Associated topics: data administrator, data architect, data integrity, data management, database, database administrator, etl, hbase, sql, sybase