Do you want to be part of the team that builds and operates a world-class search engine that serves hundreds of millions of queries a day? Do you thrive on developing efficient data retrieval algorithms that process Gigabytes of data in milliseconds? Do you want to be part of team that owns eBay's largest deployed application of machine learning, tens of thousands of servers, billion unique listings, billions of backend queries a day, highly available (99.999%) and performant system?
We are passionate about building the best search platform for the worlds largest online marketplace and are looking for top-notch software engineers to join the eBay Search Backend team.Responsibilities include:
Design and implement systems compatible with existing Search Infrastructure within eBay. Segment and design system layers to support componentized and layered application development, including business functionality and database access.Work with other engineers, managers, Product Management, QA, and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to development goals and principles. Estimate engineering effort, plan implementation, and rollout system changes. Must be able to independently design code and test major features, as well as work jointly with other team members to deliver complex changes. Identify technical areas for improvement and make detailed business cases for improvements or new areas of opportunities. Develop industry and product technical expertise.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or related discipline with experience in the areas of data mining, information retrieval, machine learning, and information extraction
- Hands-on experience in product development of proven algorithmic ideas and concepts in classification, text mining, and information retrieval technologies.
- Experience with large scale data-driven systems is highly desired.
- Experience in the areas of web data analysis, (web) information retrieval, document search and information extraction.
- Experience in object-oriented design methodology and application development in Java.
- Experience with data-mining technologies (Classification, Clustering and other algorithms)
- Experience in distributed events streaming platforms (Kafka)
- Strong Software development skills (Java, J2EE, Scala, R, Perl, Web Services etc.). Expertise in Java preferred.
- Good working knowledge of database schema design, performance tuning & SQL. Good exposure to NOSQL DB like MongoDB.
- Experience in using Hadoop for development is desirable.
- 6 years experience in requirements analysis, design, coding and unit testing of scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant applications in Windows and Linux environments.
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at ...@ebay.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Associated topics: .net, backend, develop, developer, devops, perl, programming, sde, sdet, software engineer