Job Title: Senior Software Engineer (*Sybase/SQL)//GEJP00022777
Duration: 3 months temp to perm
Location: Chicago, IL
The Senior Software Engineer has responsibilities extending to the design and development of software within the P&L.
Duties include (but are not limited to):
Working closely with systems and product management teams in requirements gathering and software design
Design, build and maintenance of our Linux server environments across product releases
Ensure availability and performance of Sybase database environments that support multiple critical applications.
Ensure associated hardware resources are optimally allocated to the database servers.
Proactively monitor the database environments to ensure secure services with minimum downtime.
Provide trend analysis and database documentation / reports to management team to enable them to make informed decisions regarding resource management and availability of the systems.
Troubleshoot and problem solve issues related to the Sybase environments.
Responsible for improvement and maintenance of the databases to include patching and upgrades.
Responsible for implementation and release of database changes to support the application development teams in both the development and production environments.
Perform migration of database components from/to DEV, QA, and Production in support of Development teams.
Review vendor database requirements & recommendations, and implement optimal and secure solutions.
Must be able to work independently and collaboratively across multiple teams
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related computer field
5+ years experience developing software for complex systems or computerized products
Experience with Sybase and/or SQL database
Experience in Database Deployment, tuning, development, testing
Expertise in Linux (BASH) scripting languages
Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining server
Familiarity with storage systems
1. Masters Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related computer field
2. Cloud environments such as AWS database Services would be plus
3. Sybase database administration
4. Experience in/with the following: design, setup, installation, and implementation of databases in large scale environments; routine database maintenance including backups, restores, re-indexing, integrity checks, jobs, alerts, processes, etc.
5. Experience with SQL coding and SQL tuning for optimum performance of queries
6. Experience with Sybase on Linux would be a plus
7. Being self-sufficiency and using initiative working on database-related projects
8. Implementing and documenting database processes such as component migration, failover, and disaster recovery models Demonstrated knowledge of:
9. Database design principles, practices and methods
10. Security/permission standards
11. Database Encryption techniques
12. Database query tools
13. SQL tuning; database indexing
14. Database disaster recovery techniques
15. Database replication Evidence of:
16. Certificates from recognized programs that indicate mastery of Sybase tools and techniques.
17. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
APN Software Services Inc.
Direct: 510-###-#### | Fax: 510-###-#### | ...@apninc.com
Associated topics: data administrator, data analyst, data integration, data quality, data scientist, data warehousing, database, erp, hbase, mongo database