**eBay is looking for Database Software Engineers for our Nu Data Team, location flexible in U.S.**
Do you have passion for solving problems that come at scale? At eBay, we deal with petabytes of data that is queried and transformed at a rapid basis - we do 100s of billions of queries per day and update billions of records.
NuData is a team of like-minded engineers pushing the envelope to build the next generation database platform for eBay. We have already built distributed, hyper-scale, and highly-performant document and key-value databases which leverage open-source cloud technologies.
We are looking into enhancing our core databases with a new database engine and also actively working on building other database families like columnar and graph , both of which will be able to dynamically scale to 1000s of shards, spanning across multiple data centers, just like the document and key-value databases. This is the technical problem this team is tasked to solve, and we are looking for super bright engineers who are passionate about pushing the envelope and not settling for the status quo.
An engineer in the database platform team has knowledge and ideas on how to develop innovative solutions smartly. The platform is being built by a team that has the culture and the environment technologists find at a startup. We are looking for outstanding software engineers with strong development experience in building scalable and geo-distributed solutions. The engineer should also have experience in working with production infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will have strong understanding of relevant programming languages, databases internals, distributed systems, consensus algorithms, transaction systems, consistency levels, web protocols, design patterns, and storage and network solutions. Exceptional problem solving abilities will be critical for success, as will be a focus on quality. In our environment, quality is everyones responsibility, passion is key, innovation and creativity is strongly encouraged. The successful candidate will have a big impact on the product and is expected to participate in the entire life cycle of a product, ranging from architecture through testing and production rollout.Primary Responsibilities:
- Be part of a team of energetic engineers building next-gen database platform using the latest open source technologies
- Work with the leads to implement features, going from brain storming sessions to converging on a design and ultimately building a production-ready product usable by end customers
- Design and implement differentiated production-ready features in a fast-pace environment with focus on scalability, performance, geo distribution, and availability
- Rollout features at the pace of business changes and requirements, iterating to improve the quality and the robustness
- Passion to bring out innovative ideas and try out new solutions, while being open minded to feedback from the team
- Relentless focus on quality and automation, and provide support to customers of the platform
- Ph. D in computer science with 3 years of experience or Masters with 5 years of experience is preferred
- Expert level programming (C++/C, Java) and scripting skills (Bash) are required with proven ability to solve complex problems
- Experience building high performance and highly scalable databases is preferred
- Self-directed work style with the ability to work on multiple tracks at the same time
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required due to dynamic nature of team discussions
- Working experience in a cloud environment (Docker/K8S) is preferred
- Working experience or knowledge of databases is a big plus
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether youre single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isnt just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work.. To learn about eBays Diversity & Inclusion click here:
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at ...@ebay.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
EEO is the Law Poster
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Associated topics: data analyst, data analytic, data architect, data manager, data scientist, data warehousing, etl, mongo database, sybase, teradata