Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
- Req ID: 82484
- Department: Finance & Accounting
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel:
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 04/11/2021
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit https://www.cpr.ca/en/about-cp">cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
This role is a key contributor to the Regulatory Economics team, to ensure that it achieves its mandate of improving corporate earnings and reducing business risk through the following activities:
- Optimize company results by assisting the business to apply an effective understanding of the regulations.
- Develop economic information reports to regulatory agencies.
- Calculate cost-of-service estimates for CP traffic, using regulatory methodology prescribed by the Agency.
- Provide regulatory guidance to stakeholders, such as Legal, Marketing and Sales, and Executives.
- Drive shareholder value by understanding how regulatory costing and policy impact business results.
- Learn how CP’s Balance Sheet and Income Statement accounts drive results in the regulatory costing system.
- Study how changes in the values of those accounts translate into impacts on earnings, via the economic regulations.
- Maintain an ongoing dialogue with Accounting and other stakeholders in order to remain aware of accounting policy changes.
- Provide guidance to the business by modelling the impacts of changes to accounting policy and regulations, in order to maximize corporate earnings.
- Develop and defend CP’s positions with regard to regulatory consultations and emerging issues.
- Research recent developments in the regulatory economic environment.
- Assess the relevance to CP, and communicate effectively to internal stakeholders.
- Assist in developing and writing logical explanations and arguments to advance CP’s position in consultation with regulators and other stakeholders.
- Assist the Legal department in defending the company in regulatory proceedings by developing evidence and arguments.
- Work with Legal to understand the important issues in the case.
- Work with Operations and Marketing to understand the traffic at issue.
- Plan and prioritize the development of costing evidence, market based evidence, and economic arguments to defend the Company’s position.
- Develop cost-of-service estimates using Canadian and US regulatory costing methodology.
- Support the Marketing team by providing calculations and guidance with respect to specific regulatory mechanisms.
- Develop analysis and guidance on the impact of business decisions and regulatory change via the VRCPI.
- Provide the annual calculations of commercial contract indices, and manage the third-party review process.
- Coordinate strategic projects to improve the team’s performance.
- Develop argument and evidence to support CP’s position in regulatory submissions, in response to changing regulatory policy or business conditions.
- Coordinate projects involving development of new IT systems and reports as requirements evolve.
- Coordinate cross-functional projects with other teams to address new business issues and improve the company’s performance under the regulatory environment.
- University degree in Finance or Economics is preferred.
- Exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to explain complex matters in a simple manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles is desirable, although a formal designation is not required.
- Working experience in a Finance role, or a role dealing with a regulatory program, is an advantage.
- You must be eager to work effectively as part of a team. This means reaching for goals that are set by the team, which may not always align with personal priorities.
- You must demonstrate a strong capability for logical reasoning, combining numerical information with other information to arrive at a reasonable decision.
- You must also demonstrate a capability to build numerical models which are clear, easy to manage, and accurate.
- You are willing to engage in constructive conflict in an open and honest manner.
- You are eager to expand the capabilities and scope of the role by investigating opportunities and developing tools.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").
See Job Description