Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
- Req ID: 83771
- Department: Information Services
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Calgary, Alberta
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 0-10%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Available to: Internal & External
- Deadline to apply: 04/30/2021
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit https://www.cpr.ca/en/about-cp">cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Design, Develop and Enhance rich Java user-interface applications with middle-tier (messaging) and other back-end processes and applications, in a large, complex, transactional based environment.
- Gather, refine, and document system requirements to ensure functionalities follow best practice methodologies;
- Code, test, document and deliver requested functionality changes or enhancements to new or existing enterprise applications;
- Produce technical documentation (i.e. requirements, design documents, turnover documentation, test plans) for requested functionality changes or enhancements;
- Work within established CP software development standards and configuration management procedures and processes;
- Assist in the creation of the system design and functional specifications;
- Provide Functional Support for applications as needed;
- Responsible for developing and testing solutions, coordinate the implementation and completion of recommended specifications application;
- Provide code and database administration in live and test environments;
- Write technical procedures and documentation for the applications including operations, user guide, etc.;
- Participate in meetings with team to discuss progress and issues to be resolved, and report progress on a weekly basis to the Project Manager. Various other duties as required.
- University Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent Application development experience;
- 5+ years of Java Application Development experience;
- 5+ years of COBOL Application Development experience;
- Proven hands-on Software Development experience;
- Proven working experience in Java development;
- Hands on experience in designing and developing applications using Java EE platforms;
- Object oriented analysis and design using common design patterns;
- Profound insight of Java and JEE internals (Classloading, Memory Management, Transaction management etc);
- Excellent knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL technologies (JDBC);
- Experience with complex data relationships and operating environments;
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple work assignments ;
- Proven problem solving abilities;
- Willingness to accept responsibility for delivering solutions to complex issues;
- Strong understanding of object oriented design fundamentals, including patterns such as MVC, REST, and dependency injection;
- Knowledge of the Java enterprise application ecosystem;
- History creating and working with JSON and XML based web services;
- Experience with Tomcat, Web sphere Application Server or similar;
- Working proficiency with Linux in server environments;
- Advanced SQL – modeling, advanced query writing, tuning/optimization of queries;
- Experience with MQ messaging or other messaging systems;
- Experience working closely with the business to arrive at an optimal solution in terms of functionality, timelines, and implementation;
- Experience with agile development methodologies;
- Experience in the Spring Framework;
- Experience with test-driven development;
- Experience with Micro Focus Visual COBOL and Object Oriented COBOL.
- Experience with Micro Focus Visual COBOL COBJVM integration.
- Experience with COBOL Embedded SQL.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Employer-Funded Retirement Plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").