Responsible for planning and designing new software and web applications. Analyzes, tests and assists with the integration of new applications. Oversees the documentation of all development activity. Trains non-technical personnel. Assists with tracking performance metrics. Provides guidance and support to other Engineers. Integrates knowledge of business and functional priorities. Acts as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. May lead teams or projects and shares expertise.
A push notifications platform written in Scala and deployed using containers.
As an engineer on this project your primary focus will be understanding and running this application at scale. Elements uses Marathon in Mesosphere as its container orchestration tool. We are looking for someone who works in developing applications and does containerized deployments to help shape the next generation of our operational infrastructure. This role has the potential to grow into designing some of our customer experience initiatives in the operational visibility space.
As part of this project team, you will be responsible for the following:
- Designing infrastructure roadmaps
- Create new processes, execute and provide training on repeatable processes.
- Migrating the application’s infrastructure to a preferably to a PaaS provider
- Operating the solution as a highly available, performant, scalable and multi-tenant platform
- Documenting architecture and processes
We are actively seeking a diverse set of candidates to join our team. If you’re not certain that you’re qualified for the position, please apply.
The CAP Team:
- We value usable and working solutions now over a perfect solution later
- We value using good enough open source software over perfect commercial
- We value diversity of opinion over group consensus
- We value being able to pursue a plan together over everyone agreeing that the plan is the best one
- We value context and responsibility over management visibility and direction
- We start from the assumption that someone, somewhere has already figured out a solution to this problem; we value using their results over rediscovering them ourselves
- We value actively and humbly seeking and appreciating honest feedback over preserving our egos
- We value making decisions with research and reason over tradition or fear; we are fans of the scientific method
- We value building it right over building it fast
In addition to the project specific responsibilities, other general responsibilities include:
- Producing technical designs and documentation at varying levels of granularity
- Writing production-quality, tested code
- Performing code reviews
- Collaborating with our technical operations teams to provide outstanding customer service
- Working with business stakeholders to understand their roadmaps and identify critical technical capabilities that need development.
- Resisting the accrual of “technical debt” in our systems.
- Working with product development teams to assist them in meeting their business goals through judicious application of CAP technologies.
- Mentoring and growing junior members on the team.
- Building proof-of-concept systems or conducting exploratory experiments with new technology.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to provide support outside of business hours for our supported applications
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Designs new software and web applications, supports applications under development and customizes current applications. Develops software update processes for existing applications. Assists in the roll-out of software releases.
- Trains junior Software Development Engineers on internally developed software applications.
- Oversees the researching, writing and editing of documentation and technical requirements, including software designs, evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Keeps current with technological developments within the industry. Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviews literature, patents and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Assists with technical leadership throughout the design process and assists in guidance with regards to practices, procedures and techniques. Serves as a guide mentor for Software Development Engineers.
- Assists in tracking and evaluating performance metrics. Ensures team delivers software on time, to specification and within budget.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements. Tests and evaluates systems, subsystems and components.
- Acts as a technical contact and liaison for outside vendors and/or customers.
- Presents and defends architectural, design and technical choices to internal and external audiences.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience, including excellent software development and systems engineering knowledge
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Deep knowledge of deploying and debugging in Linux container environments
- Deep understanding of security best practices
- Experience with functional programming
- Experience with AWS services
- Experience with Go, Ansible and Terraform
- Experience developing and operating solutions at high scale, performance and reliability
- Experience with software development methodologies and practices
- UNIX/Linux background: facility with command-line utilities; familiarity with system administration tools and concepts a plus.
- Familiarity with distributed systems, asynchronous messaging, and network protocols.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Relevant Work Experience
10 Years +
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the compensation and benefits summary on our careers site for more details.